Had a surgical abortion. Pregnancy test still showing positive. Any problem?

Hello, are you online now? My husband & I decided to have a surgical abortion on February 22,2013. Its now MARCH 8,2013. I was 8 weeks pregnant time of procedure, since 3 days ago still testing strong on pregnancy tests. The specialist who performed procedure has been doing it for years and in recovery I actually ask him to let me see what he had suctioned out of me and he did. I did ask him plainly, XXXXXXX so there's no more fetus inside?" He says XXXXXXX I would not let patients leave here if it didn't all come out because I look for certain tissues/embryos/fetus,etc when & after I suction XXXXXXX They did not do an ultrasound after procedure(why is beyond me). My Q: why would my preg. Tests still be showing strong positives?? I called the clinic yesterday and the nurse said it could be a blood clot that formed or a piece of tissue still remaining that if I'm still testing positive Tuesday March 12 to come back. Anyyyyy insight suggestions etc would be appreciated. Thank u
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 44 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

The pregnancy test may remain positive for few weeks after abortion. This is because hCG(human chorionic gonadotropin) level (which your pregnancy test is testing) remain elevated and takes time to fall. So the testing of hCG is not used to test if the abortion is successful or not. The test may remain positive for six weeks after the abortion.

You can get an ultrasound scan done, this can identify post procedure bleed or in case if any part of the fetus is left behind

Hope I answered your query.