Had a surgical abortion. Had unprotected sex prior the surgery. Pregnant again? Ovulation after abortion?

Infertility Specialist
Hi I am a 20 year old female. I had a surgical abortion on Friday. The Tuesday before my boyfriend had unprotected sex twice. It was 3 days prior to the procedure. My questions are the following. 1-is it possible for me to get repregnant after the abortion from the sperm that was left 3 days prior to the surgical abortion? 2-is it even possible to ovulate within 2-4 days after a termination of pregnancy like that? Doesn't it take atleast 7-10dayside to release an egg? 3-do you think I'm just being extra paranoid and stressed and I am ok to forget about this? Thanks
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 hours later

Thank for your query.

I have read through your details and following are my answers to your questions and concerns:

1) NO. It is not possible for you to get pregnant after abortion procedure with the sperms 3 days prior to procedure.

2) Ovulation doesn’t return immediately after abortion. So it is not possible to ovulate within 2-4 days of procedure. It will take more than a month to return.

3) I don’t think you are being paranoid. However you might be stressed and anxious. It is difficult to accept abortion as a lady as its important decisions of your life and you have so many social risks involved. It is natural to get stressed.

Forget about this and try to live a happy life.

At the moment I would like to add a word of caution: - Don’t get this procedure of abortion done repeatedly as it is not healthy. Please use contraception (Oral contraceptive pills, Condom or intrauterine devices may be used)

I hope I answered all your queries. Let me know if I have missed out on any concerns. Do accept the answer if you are satisfied with my response and you do not have any further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol