Had a surgical abortion. Done with blood test. Will the hCG level be high or low?

Mar 2016

Girlfriend had a surgical abortion. Exactly 6 weeks later she had a blood test done and showed 9.67 hCG level. Last time we had sex (wearing a condom and no ejaculation occurred) was 13 days before that blood test.

1) Could the hCG still read that high 6 weeks after surgical abortion?

2) Could hCG read that low 13 days after intercourse if she did somehow become pregnant again?
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Low normal hCG stays up to 8 wk after abortion.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. My comments are following:

1) Post surgical abortion, beta-hCG level may take time (4 to 8 weeks) to come down at non-pregnant state (less than 5 mIU/ ml). Here, I suggest to repeat the blood test again after 2 weeks.

2) As you did protected sex without ejaculation, then chance of pregnancy is quite rare. Beta-hCG level 9.67 mIU/ml is nothing significant for pregnancy. It will be more than 25 mIU/ml in case of positive pregnancy and gradually increased at 48 to 72 hrs interval. So, above test value is inconclusive of pregnancy.

Hope, above said information is sufficient & very much helpful. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Had a surgical abortion. Done with blood test. Will the hCG level be high or low? 22 minutes later
The only time I did ejaculate post abortion was in the condom and pulled out of her vagina just prior to ejaculation. This was September 8th. I examined the condom, appeared all in tact, but if somehow it did happen that day, would 9.67 hCG be too low for 16 days later?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgical abortion is the cause. Repeat beta hCG.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

First thing, pulled out from vagina prior to ejaculation inside condom has extreme rare chance of pregnancy. You should know that successful conception depends on proper timing of ovulation and unprotected sex with ejaculation inside vagina.

Second thing, beta-hCG level must be over 25 mIU/ ml for positive pregnancy. Normal level is less than 5 mIU/ ml. As she has undergone surgical abortion just 6 weeks ago, it could be a possible cause for low normal level of beta-hcg.

However, I suggest to repeat the blood test for beta-hCG after 2 weeks from last test date to clear confusion.

Hope, it helps for you. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen