Had a surgical abortion 6 weeks ago, positive in pregnancy test after unprotected sex. Can I be pregnant ?

hi i had a surgical abortion just over 6 weeks ago, and ive just done a positive pregnacy test,would i be pregnant? or maybe my hormone levels are still showing a positive result? i have had unprotected sex.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 26 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. In case of pregnancy loss and a surgical abortion like D+C, the value of HCG in blood will return to a non-pregnant range(<5 mIU /L) about 4 - 6 weeks after a pregnancy loss.

Urine test for pregnancy is very unspecific and it cannot distinguish whether the test is positive due to the diminishing levels of HCG after surgical abortion or due to increasing levels of HCG due to pregnancy.

I suggest you to get a blood test for pregnancy done to check out the levels of HCG in blood. There are sensitive urine and serum pregnancy tests which can detect HCG levels as low as 20 Miu for urine and 5 Miu for serum HCG test, as early as 8 to 12 days post ovulation. These are highly sensitive tests and you can get them done.

Lastly an ultrasound abdomen can also be done to check out any retained products of conception as well as any latest pregnancy.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.