Had a surgery and breathing tube. Why do I have white spot on uvula? Why are they on gum line and tongue?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had surgery on Monday and had a breathing tube. Now I have a white spot on my uvula and also a couple of white spots along the inside of my gum line, by my tongue. What is this - strep? Should I see a doctor?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Presence of white spots inside the mouth after a surgery with breathing tube is likely to be due to oral candida infection.
Taking antibiotics, poor hydration and vitamin deficiencies after a surgery are the likely causes for such oral infection.
If it is due to drug effect it will diminish gradually.
Drink lots of water.
Clean the tongue with Tongue scraper or with toothbrush itself.
Avoid smoking and caffeinated drinks as tea and coffee.
Have lots of yoghurt in diet.
Add a multivitamin supplement to your diet.
If the coating is persistent then you might consider visiting a dentist for examination of the oral cavity to rule out any infection.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.