Had a stent placed in heart. Taking plavix, statin and baby aspirin. Can I drink alcohol?

About 2 years ago I had a stent placed in my heart in my proximal LAD widow maker artery. I've been on a low dose plavix, statin and a baby aspirin. I became a vegetarian and have so remained. However I have a glass of wine or a 12 oz beer about 3-4 times a week. So far my liver functions have all been great and my total cholesterol is 121, with my LDL only 59. Do you think 3-4 glasses of beer or wine a week is too much alcohol?
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 59 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

It is good to know that you taking so much care to protect the heart and that your reports are good.

Alcohol in excess can cause harm and increase the risk of adverse heart events.
Alcohol can increase the gastritis/ acidity caused by aspirin and Plavix. May lead to ulcer bleeds.

There is no exact quantity of permissible alcohol for each individual.

The guidelines say: If you drink alcohol, do so in moderation. This means an average of one to two drinks per day for men and one drink per day for women. (A drink is one 12 oz. beer, 4 oz. of wine, 1.5 oz. of 80-proof spirits, or 1 oz. of 100-proof spirits.)

So, I would say 3-4 glasses a week is not too much alcohol.

I advise you to keep it to the lower side and never more than moderation. Also stop if you get acidity/ gastritis as you are on dual antiplatelets –aspirin and Plavix.
Diet , exercises, lifestyle modification go a great way to reduce the risk.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this query.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!