Had a sports injury. MRI report saying tear of medial meniscus and complete rupture of the proximate anterior cruciate ligament. Need surgery?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i had a sports injury on my right knee 2 years back,with repeated injuries.i had a big fall recently and i took an mri report says "vertical oblique tear of the posterior horn of medial meniscus,reaching the superior and inferior articular surfaces"AND"complete rupture of the proximal anterior cruciate ligament with roof scarring and retraction of the fibres".do i need a surgery immediately,what happens if i extend the surgery.can i completely recover and go back to sports again.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 1 hour later

As your Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) suggests, you have two major issues. One is the Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Tear, which is an essential part of knee stability. And second is meniscal rupture, which acts as a cushion between bone surfaces.

ACL tear as you see is completely torn from its proximal end or femoral end. The torn threads have even retracted suggesting its old injury. I'm sure with such condition you must have noticed some instability while walking. For this you most definitely need an arthroscopic ACL reconstruction.

For meniscus tear you need a removal of torn portion in the same sitting while reconstructing ACL. That's a relatively minor problem with a major disadvantage that you would end up having early arthritis.

With help of physical therapists you can get back to your sports. But getting that surgery done is must.

Hope this answers your question. If you need more help I'm available for follow up.
And if I have answered all your queries, please close this discussion.

Follow-up: Had a sports injury. MRI report saying tear of medial meniscus and complete rupture of the proximate anterior cruciate ligament. Need surgery? 24 hours later
can i extend the surgery??.after the first incident i have been exercising and feel pretty stable when walking,although i am a bit scared of fast direction changes and standing on one leg.can i continue to do exercises which i have stopped recently due to edema after the recent fall.can i do treadmill,ellipticals or weighted quadricep long will it take for complete long will take to go back to college after surgery.what can i do to prevent premature arthritis.
Hello once again.

You may extend the surgery till the swelling subsides, but you can not avoid it. Exercises can get you only so far. The fast walking and standing on affected leg are the exact instability I was talking about. Exercises have their limitations.

Recovery varies from person to person. It usually takes six to eight weeks to return to mild to moderate sports. Walking and routine activities can be resumed in two to three days post operative.

I'm afraid there is very little one can do to prevent early arthritis. And nothing that you already are not aware of, namely exercises and avoiding contact sports altogether. Use proper footware and avoid climbing staircase. Avoid sitting cross legged and do not use Indian lavatory. Anything that does not raise the pressure of the joint is helpful.

Good luck.
Follow-up: Had a sports injury. MRI report saying tear of medial meniscus and complete rupture of the proximate anterior cruciate ligament. Need surgery? 20 hours later
i was undergoing a dieting program and would like to do some swimming,quadricep,hamstring exercises,elliptical trainer etc ,since my swelling had already subsided.i am having classes now and cant afford any more absence in i was hoping to do the surgery in may last week after our there any problem with that??how immediately can i start the mentioned exercises after the surgery??.can i do them before the surgery??
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 22 minutes later

Thanks again,

The said exercises are appropriate. They must be done in consultation with a physiotherapist.

You may extend the surgery as per your convenience. Just follow the precautions I wrote in my previous reply. And it should definitely include not getting hurt again.

The exercises done post operative are necessary to acclimatise the newly reconstructed ligament. Those are of no use before the procedure. They are started with in a week post surgery.

I wish you good luck for the procedure.

Hope this is helpful. If all your queries are answered please close this discussion. Yet, let me know if I have missed out any other concerns.