Had a severe sinus infection and toxins spread all over body. On antibiotics, steroids. Side effect?

I had a severe sinus infection and toxins spread all over my body. I have been on antibiotics, steroids and shingle medication all since July 11, 2013 through the third week of September. When the toxins affected my muscles, the blood test revealed my iron was low. How is this possible?
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the answer below...

Detailed Answer:

Low levels of iron in your case are caused by not getting enough iron from food. This might be related to not having appetite or not feeding well during the recovery period from sinus infection.

This should not worry you as there are many supplements containing iron to raise your blood iron levels. However, the dose of such supplements should be taken according to your blood test results.

Often iron deficiency is associated with low red blood cells, and in this case folic acid is added. Please take the pills exactly as your doctor's prescribed and do not stop as it might need several months for the iron to be back to normal again.

I would also suggest to eat foods XXXXXXX in iron such as liver (chicken or beef); red meat, oysters, clams, and other iron-fortified foods.

If there is no improvement in your iron level, your doctor would run other tests to identify the real culprit.

Hope it answered your inquiry!