Had a severe case of gastroenteritis. Recommend what diet to take?

I had a severe case of gastroenteritis. Was released from hospital last Thurs. now I have not had a BM for a week. What would you recommend I take. I have been drinking fluids and ate few prunes yesterday but so far nothing. I have only been eating solid foods since yesterday. Please advise. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 3 hours later
Thank you for contacting XXXXXXX with your question.

You tell us that you were treated for a severe case of gastroenteritis that
required hospitalization. I am sure you were quite dehydrated and needed intravenous fluids. After a bout of this infection, it takes some time for the normal intestinal bacteria to get back
into action. I am glad that you are drinking plenty of fluids and also took some prunes which might work as laxative. You really do not want to use any harsh laxative now when you are still in recovery phase.

In cases like these I recommend adding a probiotic supplement daily and If still constipated I would try
a PEG (Polyethylene Glycol) solution that you can get over the counter without a prescription. If you follow the directions , you will get good results within 24-48 hours. When once you start having bowel movements , you can stop this and stay on a high fiber diet along with adequate fluids to regulate your bowels.

I am sure you will get back to normal within a short time.
It is also a good idea to take probiotic supplement any time you are put on antibiotics for any infection.

I wish you the very best.