Had a severe anaphylactic attack. Had taken allegra. What are the chances of another attack?

ENT Specialist
Hi, I just suffered a anaphylaxsis attack which was severe and was treated in emergency. Is this curable? For now I am ok after a couple of hours , but I am very worried about the next time such thing can occur. Once the body's reaction is this severe will it be the same every time? I used to get hives before for which I used to take Allegra . Now i am worried sick as I just carry allega with me all time
Posted Fri, 1 Jun 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. First of all, if you have just had an anaphylactic attack a few hours ago and the cause is unknown, you should be admitted and under observation for any recurrence in the next few hours. This may also be due to the fact that the you may still be exposed to the unknown trigger.

2. Anaphylaxis may recur over and over again to that antigen. It is not curable. Avoidance is the best option. In the short term you may try skin prick tests and exclusion studies to locate the exact cause. Avoidance is only possible if the cause is known. Cross reactivity is a problem with some antigens. Desensitization may be possible with some antigens.

3. Anaphylaxis is a life-threatening condition without prompt treatment. However, it responds immediately to prompt treatment. Understanding the problem and counselling is important.

4. Preparedness and readiness at all times, anticipating and recognizing an attack is required for prompt treatment. Medical ID tags help alert people around because it is a rare condition. Immediate resuscitation measures such as keeping the airway secure and improving the circulation, use of anti-allergic medication, steroids, inhalers, bronchodilators and EpiPens (Epinephrine Auto injectors). These have to be available at all times.

I must emphasize that with prompt treatment, the prognosis is good.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.