Had a serious attack of gout in toe. Have stiffness in ankles. Is it because of beer consumption?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I had a serious attack of gout in my left foot/large toe, which then also transferred to my right foot. The gout lasted for quite a while, on and off for 8 weeks with different levels of pain, at times I could not walk, it has now gone however it feels in my ankles very stiff, almost like arthritis after reviewing symptoms online. I have had gout about 3 times in my life, I am now 42 year old male. I suspect cause is beer. Are there any test I can have to confirm?
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 53 minutes later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

I have studied your case.

You should confirm diagnosis of gout by doing blood test- serum uric acid level.
and I advise you to do X XXXXXXX ankle and foot to see for arthritic changes.
Joint fluid examination can be done to look for crystals.

As you said you have repeated episodes of joint pain [acute gout],which lead to residual inflammatory reaction causing gouty arthritis in which joint become stiff and swollen.
Are you taking any medicine [like diuretic] which aggravates gout?
As per your blood uric acid level you need to consult your treating doctor and take medicine like allopurinol and febuxostat so that uric acid levels remain in normal limit.

Yes diet has important role in maintaining uric acid levels,alcohol consumption is one of the important reasons,other include like non-veg food,pulses,legumes.
You should increase water intake.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Had a serious attack of gout in toe. Have stiffness in ankles. Is it because of beer consumption? 1 hour later
Hi many thanks, no medicines being taken, one final questions is it safe/ok to exercise even if I have arthritic issues and can they be reversed naturally other than drugs.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 33 minutes later
Hello again,

You can do exercise if uric acid level and X XXXXXXX is normal.

As I said diet control is very important in gout . Once you have normal levels of uric acid it can be maintained naturally by diet management.