Had a scar removed from face, superficial stitches. Have lot of dry pus. Should I seek medical attention?

Dec 2013

I had a scar removed from my face 3 weeks ago. 3 superficial stitches and 3 sub dermal stitches were placed. It has been healing well, except for a lumpy feeling in it. I just washed my face and noticed how risen it looked, pressed it and a lot of dry pus came out.
The wound is still closed.
The surgeon is 5 hours away.
Should I be running to a local plastic surgeon ASAP?
Is the formation of pus normal part of dissolving stitches?
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Beauty
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can wait for few hours to reach to surgeon

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic.

I have gone through the complete query and thoroughly analyzed the picture sent by you.

The very first thing is that it is not at all a emergency. You can wait for few hours to reach to surgeon who is 5 hours away but not for a day or two.

It is not at all usual for any normally healing wound to have any type of pus in it. Pus in any wound is a sign of secondary infection in the wound. Face is good blood supply area which should completely heal in around 2 weeks of time. As it is 3 weeks so it shows focus of secondary infection.

You need a good antibiotic course and physical examination by your operating surgeon to get proper wound healing. As you have removed most of the pus so you can wait for few hours to reach to your operating surgeon.

In between do not try to pinch or pop the area by your own as it can cause spreading of infection to the surrounding area. Please do not go for any type of cleaning or home remedies too in these few hours till you XXXXXXX the surgeon.

Hope these informations will help you. If you have any further query I will be glad to help.

Dr Sanjay
MD (Dermatology)
Follow-up: Had a scar removed from face, superficial stitches. Have lot of dry pus. Should I seek medical attention? 14 minutes later
So you recommmend returning to the operating surgeon rather than seeking a local one? If you think this is very serious and will lead to a bad scar, i will, but it is a 5 hour drive. I went to the Mayo clinic to correct the scar after a severe cystic infection i had for 3 yrs. I saw 10 doctors in canada over 3 yrs, it was hell. They all thought it was acne. I thought it was MRSA but they wouldnt even test me! So i took clindamycin and sulfa for 21 days and it healed up. It has been healed for 3 yrs. After that experience, I wanted to go to the very best for help. The doctor at mayo said it did not look like an acne scar and that it rather resembled a MRSA scar.
Omg im scared that this could result in a new and worse scar.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry you can XXXXXXX nearby doctor

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again to the forum.

I can get through your query that you had this problem since quite long period of time and after long patience you got operated for the same.

I can get that your operating surgeon is almost 5 hours away from your residence so as interim care you can XXXXXXX a doctor nearby to you so that as an immediate care the wound can be taken care of.

You do not get anxious in this situation. We quite frequently encounter such kind of cases. In most of the cases by proper care the wound gets healed properly. As face is the area with very good blood supply so teh healing takes place quite early.

I hope these information will help you.