Had a raw cut on upper inner thigh. If vaginal fluid came in contact with it, will it cause HIV?

Question
hi.i had an empderise raw cut on my upper inner thigh.it was not bleeding but pretty raw.iif hiv vaginal fluid had to come in contact with this area,will it pose a problem for hiv
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Radhika 32 minutes later

You had a raw cut on your inner thigh. And you want to know the chance of HIV if HIV infected vaginal fluid comes in contact with this wound.

HIV can be spread through any broken skin surface and also through body fluids like blood, semen, sweat, tears, vomit, feces and urine. The probability of spread of infection depends on the type of body fluid, the size of the wound as well as the viral load of infected person.

Based on your descriptions, there is a minimal chance of spread of infection, since it was wound with no active bleeding.

If you had real exposure, then it would be wise to check the HIV status of your partner.

Avoid contact when you have any open sores, wounds especially in the genital region, mouth. Even if you do, use protective measures.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.

Wish you good health

Follow-up: Had a raw cut on upper inner thigh. If vaginal fluid came in contact with it, will it cause HIV? 3 hours later
Thanx for you soothing reply.

Just one more I am getting married. In two months time.if

I test negative in 8 weeks time. Can I take it that all is ok due

To my low risk exposure.

Answered by Dr. Radhika 10 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

You want to know whether the test done before 8 weeks will show you are free of HIV. Tests such as the HIV PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) test can usually give accurate results within three weeks of infection.

However, not all clinics will offer these tests; you should tell your Physician if you wish to take an HIV test before three months. So if you do the testing earlier you will also be free of stress that you are infected.

Again wish you the best in life.

Wish you good health.