Had a premature baby. Child having high blood pressure. Is smoking harmful for baby?

Hello. My son had a premature baby nine months ago and because of our smoking they will not bring her over. She is in good health at this point and other than high blood pressure she is a beautiful baby. Because of their request we now smoke outside and have completely stopped smoking in the house. It has been over seven months that we have not smoked in our home, yet they still will not bring her over due to residue in the carpets and furniture, we have had our carpets cleaned and have washed down all furniture... Is it really that unsafe for them to bring her over after this long?
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 3 hours later
Premature babies are really delicate and immunity being weak are susceptible for many issues related to fungus growth, infection, contact, contamination and air pollution.

Hypertension in newborns may be a serious issue and may even be associated with kidney damage.

A simple infection can get life threatening in premature babies... almost upto 1 year age or till they attain weight 10 kg.
I completely being unaware of situation at your place, will not suggest moving the child to locations of possible infection or stress for baby till baby gets a year old.
I hope this answers your concern, please get back to me if any further issue.
You may call a health expert or pediatrician to examine your place and certify the place as comparatively better for a premature if the issue of getting there is urgent.
Follow-up: Had a premature baby. Child having high blood pressure. Is smoking harmful for baby? 6 hours later
I totally understand their delicate nature. I look at our home, nothing out of place, no mold issues, dust free, vacuumed regularly, no dishes laying around, bathroom free of toilet mess and the sinks and all floors are clean. My son has two great Danes in the house, dog hair all over, I have to shower when I get home from visiting them and change clothes as we do not have pets at our home. They are NOT good at housekeeping. The home they live in was built on a previous foundation with concerns of mold. I am having a very difficult time seeing our home as a threat when their baby is exposed to FAR MORE... I would love to send you a photo to show you the differences... I am certain you would reconsider your answer. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 1 hour later
I never mentioned that your place is no safe… in fact I confessed about not knowing the situation at your both places…
As a pediatrician I can only opine that the infant needs extra precautions for first year… and if u notice any unhealthy activities around baby… as a grand parent its your duty to discourage same…
Smoking and pets are the only two issues highlighted to me but there may be many more issues which the two houses need to sort out so baby can get complete family in healthy environment.