Had a pap smear for cervical cancer screening. Having lump at the entrance of vagina. Worried

May 2013
I recently had a pap smear for cervical cancer screening. I went to the local health dept to have this done since I have no insurance. Before the doctor performed the pap smear hr did a visual exam and asked me if I knew I had a lesion on my inner labia tight at the entrance to my vagina. I said no I did not know anythimg about it. He called it a suspicious lesion and said he would call in 3 weeks to perform biopsy but it has been a month and no word yet-what am I to make of this? I am very upset and am going to another doctor for second opinion. The lesion is a long bump about 2 inches long, reddish in coloring and does not hurt. It almost looks like a growth that covers the entrance of my vagina it has me very worried.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

according to your description the possibilities are,

-bartholin cyst: bartholin gland will present on the inner side of labia which will help in lubrication, when the duct of the gland gets blocked it will lead to cyst formation when that becomes infected that can lead to abscess formation, as you are not having any symptoms that could be in cyst stage.

-gartner's cyst: it occurs from remnants of mesonephric duct, which can present at the opening of vagina.

-inclusion cyst: which can occur due to any trauma at the area further forming cyst.

these are the common causes which will present as bump near the inner vagina, these are not serious problems and if diagnosed early and treated they will disappear, so you better consult your doctor once again and find out the actual nature of the lesion and take treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.