Ask a Dentist   »  

Had a painful jaw, done fractured filling, clenching when stressed, family problems. Panadeine forte and bonjela not helping

I have had a painful jaw and inside mouth for some time now. saw dentist last week and he filled a fractured filli;ng. Have a history of clenching when stressed but not really enough to have a mouth guard. My son committed suicide 2 weeks ago - the jaw pain is unbearable but I can't see how this could be only stress related. Panadeine forte and bonjela are not helping. Saw doctor also last week and he gave me a course of antiobiotics. What suggestions do you have
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Painful joints, fatigue in your medical history warrant a chronic inflammatory disease screen by blood tests. Many reasons of arthritis can be a possibility especially in the light of your mild analgesics of paracetamol and codeine being ineffective. You might need stronger analgesics drugs on prescription with your doctor.

Stress is certainly an additional concern that is a fact with your recent loss. It has a bearing on the tolerance to the existing pain. Both can co-exist and aggravate. So, take time for grievance and seek help accordingly.

Barmah forest virus seems like an endemic disease of Australia, and does not have any grave danger, should be self-limiting albeit with the fever and malaise for a few weeks for which analgesics should do good with proper nutrition and immunity.

Don't neglect the pain is my bottom line, as you deserve to be free from jaw pain as much as you are fighting from the pain of loosing your son.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.