Had a miscarriage and was bleeding. Took omegas, iron and multivitamin tabs. Should I be worried?

Mar 2013
Hi I have had a natural missed miscarriage. I lost alot of blood on Wednesday night at home and Fri went to hospital for second part of medical management. I came home yesterday. I am very pale and have been in bed since yesterday, I got up a couple of times to walk around and have pins and needles all over and little darting throbbing pains. I am taking omegas, iron tabs and multivitamin to get my blood back right but I still feel not right. I was told to rest. Is this normal or should I be worried. They put me on an anti biotic so scepticimia or any infection would not set in. I did notwant a D&C, hence med mgmnt. All that was left in me was a a couple of mm's of something, the sac I passed should I be worried or is it just my blood recreating new blood in my body ?
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 51 minutes later
For a couple of mm of retained products , you do not need D and C outright.
It is perfectly alright to have medical management as a first line option, and then if that fails, D and C should be resorted to.
However, during the natural process of expulsion of the pregnancy, you might have bled quite a lot.
The pallor and the weakness points towards anemia.
Iron tablets would take a few weeks to increase the hemoglobin levels.
Continue the antibiotics, and meanwhile please get a complete blood count done.
I would specifically ask you to get the hemoglobin done on an urgent basis, so that severe anemia requiring more intensive management can be ruled out.
The blood count would also show the WBC count, thus reflecting on septicemia.
The pains and the symptoms you describe are to be expected just after a miscarriage, however if you experience heavy bleeding or excruciating pain, you need to go the ER immediately.
Of course, follow up after medical management would have been advised to you, to check if the medications worked.
Right now, please get the blood counts done, and take a lot of rest and nutritious diet, if the symptoms get out of hand, please visit the ER.
feel free to discuss further.