Had a miscarriage. Trying to conceive. Confused about the results. Is it a chemical pregnancy?

Question
I had had a miscarriage (blighted ovum) back on 9/28 and had a D&E. I had my period, and we were trying to conceive this month (after given the go ahead from the OB) and I was due for my period yesterday. We tested with a First Response pregnancy test Tuesday night and got a faint line positive, however the Clearblue Digital said not pregnant. Yesterday, I took another Digital, saying not pregnant. I tested this morning, and got another faint line on the First Response, but another negative on the digital. We're both concerned this could be a chemical pregnancy. I am currently 12 days past ovulation. Does this sound like a chemical pregnancy or could it just be too soon for the digital test to pick it up? I am 28 years old and overall healthy. I have no medical history except the miscarriage in September.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

At 12 days past ovulation, it is actually too early for the digital test to pick up the pregnancy. Getting a faint positive test on first response is a positive sign and most likely it is not a chemical pregnancy.

I advise you to repeat the test with the digital kit with an early morning sample of urine on 17-18 days past ovulation when it is most likely to detect pregnancy.

Alternatively, you can consult a gynaecologist who will do a serum beta HCG test and a pelvic ultrasound to confirm or rule out pregnancy.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Had a miscarriage. Trying to conceive. Confused about the results. Is it a chemical pregnancy? 21 hours later
I'm a little concerned, because this morning, I took another pregnancy test on the First Response and it was negative. There was no line.

Does this mean it's chemical since it was a negative today and a positive yesterday?

Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

A negative test today with a weakly positive test yesterday with a negative digital test is more suggestive of a false positive test rather than a chemical pregnancy.

It is best to wait for a few days and then get your serum beta hCG levels tested.

Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.

Regards.