Had a miscarriage. Pregnancy test positive and advised to take Duphaston. Suggest for how long the medicine should be taken?

I am trying to get pregnant, have had 1 normal pregnancy, have had a miscarriage 1 year ago. I suspect chemical pregnancy in my last cycle as a pregnancy test came out positive few days before my period was due (around day 26) but then negative and my period came at day 29. The doctor recommended Duphaston as I am 41 and he said after 40 progesterone levels were decreasing. My periods are normal and regular. However at the moment for the next 2 months my husband is away. My question is should I start the duphaston now from the 15th day of this cycle for 10 days, or wait till the month we actually try conceiving a baby. In other words if I take this drug would it sort of build up hormones or it helps month by month . I was advised to take it for 3 months even if I get pregnant. Do you have an opinion on duphaston, and when is best to start taking it, and whether to take it at all, and if so for how long. Thanks a lot
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be taken when needed.

Detailed Answer:

A chemical pregnancy can be cross-checked with the blood pregnancy test of serum beta-hCG titres as evidence of pregnancy. It remains positive for about 3 weeks.

Duphaston is a synthetic progesterone similar to the natural progesterone and is relatively safe to use. It is given in infertility and pregnancy to correct corpus luteum deficiency, to prevent abortion and as supplement in assisted reproductive techniques. It can be taken for a few days in a cycle to induce a period or for a month or otherwise as prescribed. It can be taken for several months, though, it should be kept in mind that external hormones always carry certain risk factors like breast, liver, circulatory and gastric effects. You should establish the status of your hormones before deciding if you actually need the hormone supplementation.

You need not start the treatment right away. You can wait till you start trying to conceive as the effect of the hormone is seen only in the cycle in which it is used. It is advised, as mentioned earlier, whenever hormone deficiency is expected in pregnancy. It is true that hormone deficiencies creep up at late age and so is the viability of the ovum and the sperm. So, many times assistance is needed when trying to conceive in the forties.

I would suggest that you take the medication after a complete hormonal work up, in the latter half of the cycle, with or without food. This can be initiated once you start trying to conceive.

Hope your query is answered. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.