Had a mild stroke. Why does everything except sweets taste rusty? How to activate taste buds?

Question
my mother recently had a mild stroke, ever sinsce the stroke everything she eats tastes rusty except sweets. will her taste come back.what can she do to activate her taste buds or will it never come back
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 hours later

It is not the taste buds involved here. The loss or defective taste sensation in case of mild stoke is due to damage to the nerve parts. Most of times the nerve parts damaged in a mild stroke will regain their function within 2 to 3 months.Very rarely there may be permanent loss.It is just that we have to wait for the outcome.

If there are chances of recovery, it can be fastened by Multivitamins and steroids .Do consult your doctor to get a prescription for the above medications.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Had a mild stroke. Why does everything except sweets taste rusty? How to activate taste buds? 7 hours later
she has lost 8 lbs. already, what can she eat,tapriocca doesn't taste too bad or something sweet, but you can't eat sweets forever. someone said try ensure,will that plug her, she takes stool softeners.she has irritable bowel syndrom

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Protein supplements like Ensure will surely help. Fruits which taste sour and sweet like most of berries do, are good to be consumed by her .They help in the recovery.

Let her continue with the treatment for recommended to put her on Multivitamins which are very essential for her recovery.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.

regards,