Had a microdiscectomy for herniated disk. Can I smoke? Will marijuana yield less pain?

Im 21 just had a microdisectomy at the l5-s1 level for my herniated disk. I am recovering now and feeling much stronger already after almost a week, following doctors instructions and was very healthy going into surgery. I want to know the truth from a non bias perspective, if I was to smoke marijuana in the future (not within a few months of my surgery I am not dumb I know it would hinder healing fully) would this effect my back for the worse? Any proven research on if it damages discs more I want advice I have smoke for a while when I asked my surgeon he gave me a bs "smoking weed is the worst thing you can do it kills neurons and makes you and idiot when you are older" I know doctors are supposed to give you smart advice I just want a straight up honest answer without the bs like im in high school I am an adult and would quit if someone told me that it would really mess my back up worse long term. ALso is that just smoking marijuana or would consuming it like edibles or vaporizing yield any different result...? Thanks
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later

Marijuana decreases the pain perception and chronic intake has a numbing effect on the nerves. The effect is mostly reversible on stopping its use. It is not associated with degenerative changes in the neurons. The side effects like dizziness and nausea must be taken care of.

After complete recovery from surgery occasional use may be tried but chronic use in heavy doses is not recommended.

Inhalational route produces a more rapid onset of effect rather than the oral route although the total effect produced is similar.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.