Had a micro-disectomy surgery. Have sacralization. Are they related?

Spine Surgeon
What is the meaning of the following problem I have:
The L5-S1 disc is markedly narrowed and appears to be related to L5 being transitional vertebra with partial sacralization.

I had micro-disectomy surgery two years ago is it related or is this a new problem?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 8 hours later

Thank you for sharing your thought with me.

All people have 5 lumbar vertebrae with discs in between. Lowest lumbar vertebra is L5. Below L5 bone there is L5-S1 DISC. Below the disc there is another bone called S1. In some people the L5-S1 disc may be smaller and L5 kind of sticks with the S1, called sacralization, which is not a disease.

So it is very common to have sacralization, it may be present since birth and nothing new, so please do not worry about it anymore.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.