Had a medical abortion. Will the next pregnancy be troublesome? Should the next doctor be aware of abortion? Go for an ultrasound now?

Question
HI Mam,

I am Lekha from Bangalore,I had a medical abortion done on March 7th 2012 with the consultation of the physician ,at the time of abortion i was 4 weeks pregnant.The bleeding continued till March 23rd .I had a follow up after 2 weeks and my physician didn't ask me for any ultrasound again she said its successful .
From the next month on-wards I am getting period at 19th of every month till date.I have been told that I shouldn't conceive till next 6 months.
Below are my questions.
1.Will I have any problems in my next pregnancy due to the abortion.
2.Do I have to mention about the abortion I had to the doctor next time when i get pregnant .
3.Does doctor can identify that i had a abortion with out me mentioning.
4.Is it better to get an ultrasound done now to get it cleared if there are any problems.
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
I understand your concern.
1. In your next pregnancy, if you conceive normally and fetal heart beat appears by 7 weeks, then any problem is not likely. The only problem expected is in implantation due to the anti progesteronic effect of mifepristone on the uterine lining. This effect might persist for upto 6 months.
2. It is best if you mention about this abortion to your doctor.
3. No. It is not possible for a doctor to identify that you had an abortion unless you mention it yourself.
4. Since you are having normal periods for last 3 months, an ultrasound now is not necessary. It will not provide you much help.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Had a medical abortion. Will the next pregnancy be troublesome? Should the next doctor be aware of abortion? Go for an ultrasound now? 8 minutes later

The above mentioned effect stays or 6 months after abortion or after I getting pregnant next time?

In current state due to my personal problems I can't mention that to the doctor,Is this critical to mention ?

Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The anti progesteronic effect stays maximally for 6 months after the abortion. You can safely plan your pregnancy after six months.
It is not critical to mention in case you do not face any problem in conceiving again. Once you conceive normally, the previous medical abortion becomes immaterial.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.