Had a lymph node excision and diagnosed with fibrous hystiocytoma. Should I be concerned?

Dec 2012

Went in for a lymph node excision yesterday. Lymph node in right facial cheek for ten weeks, multiple treatments, painful and CT even looked like it was a lymph node. Ent went in to excise the node and send to pathology. When I was in recovery, he said it wasn't a node after all, it was a fibrous hystiocytoma. What is that and should I be concerned? I won't see him again until the 15th.
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It is a malignant tumor of soft tissue/bone Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for posting your query, I am so sorry for your health problems. This tumor is actually termed malignant fibrous histiocytoma (MFH). MFH is a type of sarcoma i.e a malignant neoplasm of uncertain origin that arises both in soft tissue and bone. However, your ENT's suspicion is a little premature given that the laboratory still needs to confirm this. It could still be another type of tumor. When the diagnosis of sarcoma is suspected, it is important to determine if a tumor is isolated (localized) or has spread (metastatic). When soft tissue sarcomas spread, they most commonly metastasize to the lungs. As such, a CT scan of the chest is routinely obtained to determine the presence or absence of metastatic disease. While sarcomas including MFH can spread to other sites such as lymph nodes and bones, it is fairly uncommon. So, you maybe having a metastasized form of the tumor (lymph node spreading) already and other sites will have to be checked through other tests and it is also possible that the tumor might just be located only on the lymph nodes which might already have been removed completely by the ENT during the surgical excision. I suggest you stay calm and wait for the conclusive results, as the next step will depend highly on the results that will be produced. In any situation, I am sure your doctor will be able to properly manage you and give you a better health. Hope this helps and feel free to reply with any follow-up queries. Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Had a lymph node excision and diagnosed with fibrous hystiocytoma. Should I be concerned? 7 hours later
Thank you so much for the information. My husband said that the ent did tell him it "looked benign" and that these are common. I'm not sure, just trying to remain calm until the report is back.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes benign forms do exist Detailed Answer: You are welcome. It is right thing to do is remain calm and wait for the results. It could simply be a benign mass. With malignancy, there is often paraneoplasic symptoms associated to the mass and if you do not present with any of those, then the chances of cancer is slim. Regards Dr. Nsah