Had a lumbar puncture, having pain, not able to sleep. How to get cured?

I had a lumbar puncture Friday. I'm dealing with the pain, but can not sleep.
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

From the clinical details provided tome it looks like you are suffering from post LP headache. Headache following a lumbar puncture is thought to be due to cerebrospinal fluid seepage from the puncture site, with subsequent traction on
pain-sensitive intracranial structures. Characteristically, the headache is postural, often associated with nausea and vestibular symptoms.

Most of these post-lumbar puncture headaches last less than four days and 75 % resolve within seven days with conservative management. Treatment consists of good hydration, bed rest and analgesics. If you don't respond to these measures you may require epidural blood patch to reduce your headache.

My recommendation for you is to see your Neurologist if the headache is not postural and neurological symptoms change. CT scan does not show any bleed. Do try good pain killers and rest for few days. If no response see your physician for epidural blood patch.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.