Had a knee surgery to remove cysts, awaiting knee replacement. A deeply bruised knee cause to concern?

Hi, I am a 44 year old woman. In 2010 i had knee surgery to remove some cysts. My knee never fully recovered and i am now awaiting a total knee replacement of that knee. Over the past 3 days i have had a very painful left knee and it is my kneecap that is actually very sore. I am Aboriginal so it is very hard to see, but i have a very large, round bruise that is covering my whole kneecap. I am not sure how tall i am. I have recently lost 16kgs as suggested by the ortho doctor to help with the knees. I now weigh 75kgs. Hoping you can help me as i am unable to get into see my doctor today.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 52 minutes later
A very painful knee cap with an overlying bruise could be due to a knee inflammation associated with a bleeding disorder or hematoma.
A physical examination and tests like MRI will help in finding out any soft tissue damage involved.
While you are waiting to see your orthopedician you can start taking a mild pain killer like ibuprofen- motrin. You can also do a hot fomentation of the joint and avoid bearing weight on the affected joint at all costs.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.