Had a herina repair and Inguinal repair. Getting pain over my inguinal scar. What can be done?

General Surgeon
I had a herina repair above my belly button at age 2. At age 10 I had a Inguinal repair on my right side. I am age 30 and I am having a lot of pain over my inguinal scar. When I work out the pain gets worse. When I do sit ups the pain is worse. It doesn't hurt worse when I cough and there doesn't appear to be any buldge in the area. But the pain is almost directly over the old scar. I also had my appendix out at age 9. This pain has been occuring for the last 6 months on and off but seems to be a little worse lately. I was 208lbs 1 yr ago. I am currently 178. I work out about 5 days per week.
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

You need to know that some people are prone to have hernias. It is because the reason of hernias is connective tissue weakness (due to genetic changes). So the problem is in whole body, not only in this specific places. But in inguinal area and umbilical area the hernia can appear much easier, and it does.

The other thing is that your surgery were about 20 years ago. On that time, usually there was no mesh inserted as meshes were not so popular and accessible like nowadays. And such hernia repair without mesh gives high risk of recurrence.
Most likely what gives you pain is such hernia recurrence (the symptoms are very characteristic). Even if the lump is not palpable, still hernia can be there.

To have it diagnosed I suggest you to have groin ultrasound which will either confirm or rule out the hernia.
And if hernia is present, second surgery (with mesh this time) is necessary.

One more thing, even if the mesh were inserted, still recurrence is possible.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.