Had a hand job done. Did not achieve erection and ejaculation. Am I at HIV risk?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
I had a hand job done by a prostitute about 9 months ago. She was wearing clothes. I was not wearing a condom. I did not have any cuts or ulcerations on any part of my body including the penis. I do not know if she had any vaginal fluid, blood, or some semen ( from a previous client) on her hands. I was exposed for about 2 minutes and did not achive erecrtion and ejaculation. Am I at HIV risk and do I need to get myself tested assuming that she had secretions on her hand as a worst case senario
Thanks
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 44 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Welcome to XXXXXXX

There is no risk for you to get HIV.

No one could get HIV through getting hand job (Masturbation).

Don't assume things like that she would have stains of vaginal fluid, blood or semen in her hand. Nobody will entertain the other without a hand wash as her health also important for her. No doctor will examine the patients by touching without a hand wash before and after examination. It is similar to that only.
Even if she would have stain in her hands, not getting dried, and abrasions over your foreskin of penis, the chances of getting HIV is very very low.

Unless you had some previous risky exposure, the blood screening for HIV is not necessary for you.
If it is disturbing your mind very much and not able to concentrate on your normal routine, there is nothing wrong in having a HIV test and clear yourself that you are not infected with HIV.

Good luck to you.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Had a hand job done. Did not achieve erection and ejaculation. Am I at HIV risk? 46 minutes later
Thanks doctor,

I have had no risky exposure previously. There were no aberations over the foreskin of my penis but yes there was sweat on her hands

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 8 hours later
Welcome back with your follow up questions.

Sweat is not at all infectious. If you don't have previous risky exposure, a HIV test is not at all necessary.
You need not worry about HIV.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Had a hand job done. Did not achieve erection and ejaculation. Am I at HIV risk? 13 hours later
the only thing I was worried about is that some secretions ( if any ) would be carried over to the tip of the penis while mastrubating and cause infection. I assume all this must have been considered and factored in when I am risk free .

Thanks,

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later

Welcome back

I understand your concern.
Of all types of sexual acts, Masturbation or hand job is the least form of HIV transmission. Carrying some type of infectious body fluid over hand and transmitting the virus into the skin of penis is the remote possibility and yet to XXXXXXX such a transmission.
Just forget.
You are not at all at risk.

Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Had a hand job done. Did not achieve erection and ejaculation. Am I at HIV risk? 17 hours later
Doctor,
Thanks for bearing with my anxiety so far. But I am really worried as I have come across a internet site that says that mastrubation is safe as long as there is no body fluid in the hand. This is inspite of your conclusion.
My problem is that I cannot get myself tested before XXXXXXX 2013 for the fear of being HIV + and spoiling the atmosphere in the house , which will affect my daughters board and other competitive exams.

Is there a medical reason and theoritical reason as to why you consider me risk free or just a matter of statistics and practicablity that I am considered risk free.
Medical reason could include the virus being non infective outside the body or any other reason. Does there have to be a minimum amount of fluid to get infected.

In my case I do not know if this lady was with another customer or not before me , all I know was that she was clothed and attended me after about 5 minitues of settling with me. This was in a beauty cum massage parlour in Singapore . The room was humid and there was sweat on her hands because of the humidity.

According to me since she was clothed therefore chances of vaginal fluid are remote since they would get wiped out while wearing clothes. My worst concern is semen from a previous job ( if any) or blood which I did not notice.

I am from a very good family and the social repurcussions are a lot. i have had no other previous experience with paid sex before, hence the anxiety. I was lured into this parlour with the assurance that mastrubation and massage is risk free. I did not get any massage done at all, all that this lady did was started to mastrubate me which I stopped after about 2 mins realisisng that I was doing somethis wrong.

As reported earlier this was about 9 months ago and could some signs of HIV infection appear. I have gained about 2 -3 kgs weight since then.

Thanks once again for bearing with my anxiety.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Welcome back.

You have the valid reason, that you gained weight, already 9 months over..

The virus cannot survive if the semen or body fluids gets dried, as you said a time interval between the previous engagement for her.

We doctors are knowingly or unknowingly handling so many HIV positive individuals in our day to day life. Especially a health care provider caring HIV positive children are quite often having chances for handling blood and other oozing from wound and ulcers.
Emergency situations, doctors and dentists or an Obstetricians are giving so many first Aid measures, but we are not getting HIV or not sero converted.
So you need not worry about this.

Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Had a hand job done. Did not achieve erection and ejaculation. Am I at HIV risk? 2 days later
Dear Doctor,

SO I presume that gaining weight is a positive sign that I could not be infected with HIV after 9 months of possible exposure.

Although I have been eating a lot during these last months or so and not going in for my regular excersises.

If your answer is yes then I will not go for testing and forget about it as advised.

Thanks once again for the trouble.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later

Weight gain is definitely a positive sign. By doing hand job one cannot introduce HIV virus to the other.

But it seems that your mind is disturbed very much due to the fear of HIV. So it is better for you to have a blood screening for HIV and confirm that you are not having HIV.
It will relieve your tension and you can concentrate in your work and forget about the past.
Good luck to you.
Dr S.Murugan