Had a hand job, HIV, STD all negative. Down with fever, diarrhea, stomach gurgling, slight pain. Any cause for alarm ?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi there,

I have been on a working trip to Thailand recently and got into some misdemeanor at one of the local massage palour. Long story short, she did a hand job on me and she abraded her genitals against mine for like 10seconds (with no penetration).

Did an immediate HIV and STI blood test within 48 hours and results were negative.

Had some gastric and diarrhea episode which lasted for 1.5 weeks about 5 weeks after the incident. Did a HIV saliva test in week 6 and results were negative.

Was down with what I hope was flu in week 8 (sore throat, chills and fever) which went away by mid week.

And now on week 10, stomach gurgling and slight pain.

Is this any cause for alarm for HIV?

Your prompt response will be much appreciated!
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 9 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

Though the act would be considered as high risk, the negative tests testify that you are not infected with HIV.

These episodes of illnesses may well be just a coincidence.

But, we should be alert for all possibilities.

I would hence suggest you to get a repeat HIV ELISA test. At 10 weeks the result will be conclusive as window period will be taken care of at this stage (6weeks is like borderline).

Saliva tests are good for screening, but to be very sure ELISA (Blood test) is more conclusive,

Just get it done to be on the safer side.

Thanks

Dr Gaurang Krishna

Follow-up: Had a hand job, HIV, STD all negative. Down with fever, diarrhea, stomach gurgling, slight pain. Any cause for alarm ? 31 minutes later
Thank you for the reply!

What are the symptoms that you generally would want to lookout during the 10 to 12th weeks after the incidence?

I do not know if these symptoms are just the placebo effect that my stress and guilty mind has create. I have been thinking about this everyday for the past 10.5 weeks.

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 5 minutes later
At this stage, we do not expect much to happen in HIV.

The seroconversion, which occurs usually in 1st or 2nd week sees some flu like symptoms.. And thats about it.

Years later, lymphadenopathy, fever, weight loss and diarrhea may occur.

And then, the symptoms of full blown AIDS.

I agree with you. These may well be stress symptoms.

Getting a repeat test done is the best way forward.

Follow-up: Had a hand job, HIV, STD all negative. Down with fever, diarrhea, stomach gurgling, slight pain. Any cause for alarm ? 7 minutes later
Ok, I've got one scheduled for tomorrow. But having seen my exposure and some of my symptoms, what are my chances of contracting HIV?

Thanks for your time!

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 3 minutes later
Very very less.

Let's say as much as any random person in the crowd.

So do not worry and go ahead with the test.

Thanks and regards