Had a guard bypass and later had to have stent placed. Cause?

my husband had a guard bypass on May 9 12 weeks later he had to have 5 stents placed. What could have cause this/
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bypass blocked

Detailed Answer:

Either due to increased cholesterol, failure of anti-coagulation or existent valve disease the Bypass graft would have got blocked requiring stenting.

Rarely in some, the graft fails due to unknown causes needing stents. In such cases investigations cannot determine the cause of the block. Hence he cause can be made out only on the re-exploration during stenting.

Do discuss the same with the surgeon operated on him.

Follow-up: Had a guard bypass and later had to have stent placed. Cause? 35 minutes later
What precautions can be taken so this can't happen again. He is now on efferent a blood thiner. I will ask his surgeon to review his case and discuss with us what happened. The cardiologist said he doesn't have a answer. I think we deserve a better answer.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anticoagulant,cholesterol levels, Cardiac markers

Detailed Answer:

Regular revision of blood thinner medication dosage, check on cholesterol levels and cardiac muscle ischemia markers like troponin and LDH estimation. These are the measures to be taken to determine the risk.