Had a grommet inserted into my ear. Having hearing problem. Any infection?

ENT Specialist
Question
5 days ago I had a grommet inserted into my right ear. Since my operation I have hardly any hearing in it. The hearing is as bad as when I had infections in it. I am 42yrs and I have had problems with my ear over the last year. I have talked to my doctor on phone and he said to take antibiotic drops that he pre-scribed, as I had mention that the day following operation I felt exhausted and ill while driving and then had a shivery spell. He said it sounded like that it was the start of flu. this i can say is not the case at this stage. Im just exhausted and have a deaf ear with swishing sounds of my pulse in ear.
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. I am assuming the following:
a. The indication for the grommet insertion in the right ear was a serous otitis media with fluid build-up in the middle ear and an abnormal Tympanogram (Impedance Audiogram). This was not responding to medication over the last year.

2. Your surgeon will know whether any fluid was seen after the myringotomy (incision on the eardrum) was done, whether any active infection or congestion was seen and whether he tried to suction out any fluid before placing the grommet. Also ask which type of grommet was used and whether there was any difficulty in placing it. Ask what local antiseptic was used.

3. You would know if any local injection was used for anesthesia and how painful was the procedure (unless you were sedated).

4. It is pertinent to note that the primary object of placing the grommet is to allow air to enter (ventilation) and not to drain the fluid.

5. Hence your symptoms may be related to:
a. Persistence of fluid in the middle ear which will settle down in time as the ventilation improves. This would explain the swishing sounds and pulsatile tinnitus. A repeat Audiogram would show a Conductive Hearing Loss (CHL) which us expected and will recover in a few days.
b. Active infection
c. Reaction to the antiseptic or the local anesthetic or sedative.
d. A hearing loss with pulsatile tinnitus. Insist on a repeat Audiogram to rule out any Sensorineural Hearing Loss (SNHL).

I must emphasize that a Myringotomy and grommet insertion is a common procedure with good results.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had a grommet inserted into my ear. Having hearing problem. Any infection? 1 hour later
Is there any scan or ultra sound that can be done to get a better picture of what's going on and to see if there are problems elsewhere in the ear. Besides doing a hearing test.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. The hearing tests should be done first.

2. Scans or ultrasounds are not a priority. They might be useful if there is an investigation as to why one side is involved.

3. Medication such as anti-allergic decongestants, mucolytics, antibiotics, steam inhalation and anti-inflammatory medication (including a short course of steroids) should settle the symptoms.

4. Do you have any answers to the questions raised by me above?

I hope that i have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.