Had a gastoscope done. Have polyps and gastric ulcer. On Klacid plus Amoxil. Any side effect?

I had a gastoscope done a month ago and the Surgeon advised that I have pollips and a gastric ulcer. I was sent by my Pulmanologist as I was getting Asthma attacks from GERD notwithstanding that I am on Foxair,Forvent ,Singulair & Uniphyl.The Surgeon put me on an antibiotic Klacid plus Amoxil ,but unfortunately I am allergic to Penecillin . he then just kept me on Klacid only plus Nexium 40 mg twice daily for two weeks and then one 40 mg. once a day for the next two weeks. The coughing went away after the first week and was controlled until the last week when i started coughing again. The problem I had with Nexium is that I had severe headaches plus joint & muscle pains.I told my Surgeon this and he said I must go back to my old Altosec ( which did not work in the first place ) for two weeks and come back to see him. it seemed to me that he did not believe the side effects I had ,as he said he never encounterd it with Patients before ?!I am therefore quite disgrunteled and would like to know what other medication would fix the problem please?
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pantoprazole or Rabeprazole

Detailed Answer:

You do not have to be worried about your doctor's response.

If you have esophagitis (inflammation of the esophagus) with gastric ulcer and polyp, you might want to consider pantoprazole (Protonix and generic) or rabeprazole (AcipHex). Some research suggests these drugs could provide better healing from esophagitis that you might be suffering from. It is also a good practice to rotate them.

It was clear that the Nexium (Esomeperazole) worked for you. The cough went away immediately in a week, however it has caused you significant headache and joint pains. Actually your doctor was right that rarely these side effects were reported. At the same time Altosec (Omeperazole) would not work as effectively as Esomeperazole for Oesophagitis.

Frequently asthma, GERD and post nasal drip were mis diagnosed each other for chronic dry cough. Since it was clear with trial of Nexium that your problem could be because of esophagitis result from GERD and gastric ulcer, you should take appropriate alternatives as above.

Hope this is clear and informative.