Had a flu, which was cured. Called for follow up as a result of LFT and ESR 60. What does it mean?

Feb 2013

I had the flu a few months ago and doctor took some test, however I didn't go back as I was feeling much better. I received a letter from him today saying I need to go back to follow up a result of LFT's, Esr 60. What does this mean?
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Usually follow up is advised for diseases treated on outpatient or inpatient basis to know the recovery status of the patient, the response to the treatment, and to interpret any previously awaited investigations.

Your doctor may like to discuss the results of Liver function tests (LFT) and ESR with you and may repeat the tests if required depending on the review of your clinical history and physical examination findings.

ESR is a nonspecific test and it is elevated in some chronic infections and its elevation some times requires further investigations to rule out any underlying problems.

Therefore I advise you to follow up with the doctor for the interpretation of test results in correlation with your clinical profile and for further advise.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.