Had a fibroid removed. Getting lower abdominal pain with diarrhea. Scar tissue forming?

General Surgeon
I had a fibroid removed a few months ago. A few months ago i started getting a lot of lower ab. pain and pain in my lower back and taking a lot of pain killers. I occasionally get pain sitting down on my undercarriage and have a pressure and very bad pain in my lower tummy with it with occasionally shooting pains up my backside. I am having diarrhoea quite frequently (daily) could this be scar tissue forming? Will this affect my tubes/affect fertility?Thank you
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Lower abdominal pain and lower back pain are quite characteristic for urinary tract stones. Frequent urinating and burning while urinating can be also present.
Diarrhea if contains blood or mucus is most likely caused by chronic bacterial infection (maybe you have been taking antibiotics recently). Other reasons like medicines, lactose intolerance, inflammatory bowels disease or even partial bowels obstruction are possible.
I suggest you to have some diagnostics. Blood work, abdominal ultrasound, urine analysis and stool tests should be done at first. Depending of the results, other tests like colonoscopy or CT should be considered.

This symptoms are for sure not caused by scar tissue forming. I assume that fibroid has been removed with Hysteroscopy. This method does not affect abdominal cavity.
If this is uti and bacterial diarrhea, it wont affect your fertility.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Had a fibroid removed. Getting lower abdominal pain with diarrhea. Scar tissue forming? 10 minutes later
Hello there,

I have been tested for infections via urine and blood and there has been no infection present.
As regards diarrhea, i have taken no antibiotics in the last few years and no diet etc has not changed at all.
The fibroid was removed via laprascopy, no problems with the removal but all these problems have started since XXXXXXX of this year and I had the fibroid removed in Oct '12.

The doctors think it may be scar tissue and gave me 3 options
1. to leave it alone and hope it doesn't get worse
2. to do another laprascopy and hope it doesn't cause further *possible* adhesions
3. to get pregnant in the next year, in case my tubes are being affected!

Bit extreme but I am very very confused

Thank you, XXXXXXX

So you are after laparoscopy. This makes things different.
Every abdominal surgery leaves some adhesions inside the abdominal cavity (we can call it scar tissue). This adhesions are like a ribbons attached to the abdominal wall and intestines. Some adhesions can cause intestines narrowing and lead to partial bowels obstruction. Diarrhea and abdominal pains are very characteristic for such obstruction.
Moreover after uterine surgery it is always a risk of endometriosis. This disease triggers adhesion creation.
So in my opinion, the problem does not lies in the uterine or tubes, but in the intestines. This adhesions can affect tubes as intestines and ovaries, tubes and uterine are in close neighborhood in the abdominal cavity.

Leaving it alone wont give any benefit to you as every person has a right to feel comfortable.
Another laparoscopy probably will be necessary but not right away as nowadays we have great tests which can tell if there is any obstruction or not.

Here is what should be done:
1. Abdominal CT with oral contrast (Enteroclysis) - this will tell if small intestines are narrowed or not.
2. Colonoscopy to rule out any narrow places in the large intestine.
3. If both tests will be negative, diagnostic laparoscopy should be done.
In case of obstruction due to adhesions, general surgeon should decide either the laparoscopy or classic surgery should be performed.

Hope this will help.