Had a dry cough. Why do i get the cough in cold?

i have had a dry cough for about 2 months ever since i got over a bug that was going around that i just cant get to go away and when i get cold it get alot worse. should i be concerned? is there anything i can do to help/make it go away?
Posted Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 15 minutes later
A lot of times, after an infection subsides, the airways become hyperreactive due to which the affected person continues to get cough etc. This is not a concerning thin but as such can be quite annoying.
For this, the following measures will help:
a. Take steam inhalation twice daily
b. Have some tea with XXXXXXX leaves and ginger
c. Make sure you drink a lot of water
d. See a physician for a chest exam. If there is some evidence of hyper reactive airways, you would benefit with a drug called monteleukast. This is a prescription drug as such. Till then, you can take Tablet Allegra 180 mg once daily for 1 week and see if it helps

With the right medication and these measures, your cough should be ok in a week.
Hope that helps
Let me know if you have any more questions
Follow-up: Had a dry cough. Why do i get the cough in cold? 16 minutes later
thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 8 hours later
I am glad I could help. If you do not have any more questions, please close this discussion