Had a drug induced medical abortion, took mifepristone. Been bleeding since a month. Is this normal to happen?

Sir my period date was due on 28 Dec 2012. But when there was no bleeding till 2nd I tested with test kit and I found it was positive . As my first child is only 1.5 years old we decided to take MTP kit . On 6th XXXXXXX I took the Mifepristone and on on 8th I took the first Misoprostol tablet . After one hour of taking, bleeding started and heavily . But I continued the other three tablets as scheduled, i.e. after every 48 hours. Since then it has been bleeding continuously till date . Now it has already been one month plus . Please advise me what to do and how the bleeding will stop. I have never felt much pain in the stomach only besides the normal sensation during periods. My first child was born on 21 July 2010. It was normal delivery (focep/vaccum), but I was very week ( so weak that I could not walk without help till 4th day) . It was one day after the due date . Birth weight was 3.6kg. I recovered after about one month. I had 8 stitches.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Prasad 56 minutes later

I have gone through your query in detail and I understand you are facing a really tough situation. Let me try and give you some useful information that should guide you to find a solution to this problem.

It is common to experience heavy bleeding following drug induced medical abortion. Usually the bleeding experienced last for not more than 2 weeks. Since you report of persistent bleeding, it looks like there is a problem in your uterus - probably an incomplete abortion more likely or an infection or other associated uterine condition/systemic condition.

I urge you to consult a gynecologist immediately to stop the bleeding.

A detailed physical examination and other relevant investigation that may include ultrasonography, blood counts and coagulation profile is entailed to narrow down the cause. Specific management that includes dilatation and curettage, use of medications such as tranexamic acid / birth control pills would be needed depending on the cause.

In the mean time, I would suggest you to take iron supplements along with iron XXXXXXX diet (meat, liver, oyster, boiled beans, peas, pumpkin seeds and so on) to avoid anemia.

I understand that this problem is frustrating. But don't worry, we would be able to stop this bleeding very soon. Do consult a gynecologist at the earliest.

Hope I have provided you with the necessary information to guide you towards your treatment. Do accept the answer if you are satisfied with my answer; else let me know if I have missed out any of your concerns.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Best Regards