Had a diathermy loop treatment. Started pain, bleeding and loss of appetite. Looking for cure

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
Question
Hi i've had a diathermy loop treatment to th cervix 20 days ago. I've had light pain and on and off bleeding but today I'm experiencing heavier cramps and bleeding with little cloths(while 2days go it was more wattery). The pain goes away with paracetamol and the discharge is not smelly. I'm also a bit confuse with my period as I was due the day of the treatment so I don't know what is what anymore...i also appear to have lost my appetite and I feel quickly full after eating little amounts of food. I also feel some discomfort after eating? I'm currently abroad on holiday so before running in hospita, I want to know if that can happen in the normal process of healing? Many thanks for your answer.
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 1 hour later
The side effects of diathermy loop treatment present usually the way you have described here. Side effects present with light pain and on and off bleeding-usually watery
After some days person experiences heavy cramps and bleeding with clots. This type of presentation is because of the necrosis of cervical epithelium due to diathermy treatment. If you had periods around this procedure the side effects may get modified.
Your upper G I symptoms [also appear to have lost my appetite and I feel quickly full after eating little amounts of food. I also feel some discomfort after eating? It may be related to drugs you have taken or you may be worried much.
I still prefer you to consult the local Physician and take necessary medication.
So I think it is happening as normal process of healing.
With best wishes

Follow-up: Had a diathermy loop treatment. Started pain, bleeding and loss of appetite. Looking for cure 16 hours later
Thank you for your answer. The pain and symptoms are very similar to period. Do you think that the procedure could have delay my period for 20 days? Is that possible? My period was due at the date of the surgery, more or less ( I don't take contraceptive pill and my cycles are not regular) and because I have been bleeding since the diathermy I don't know if I've had my period or not yet but this is the first time since the operation that the pain is so intense and similar to period pain. Thanks for your answer.

Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 53 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

As you have pointed out, any surgical procedure can delay the periods. This has probably happened in your case this time.

Please take over the counter analgesics if the pain is persisting. It is possible that the diathermy could have obscured the normal period bleed. If your symptoms worsen, please review back with the treating surgeon who performed the Diathermy loop treatment in you.

Please do write back in case you have more queries.

With regards