Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Had a desert outside and found maggots on the plate. Suggest the medication to prevent sickness?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1201 Questions
Yesterday afternoon I went out to a restaurant and had XXXXXXX cotta with honey and walnuts for dessert. After eating about 70% of the dessert I noticed maggots on the plate. I feel fine but I am afraid I may have ingested a maggot or whatever bacteria that causes maggot to exist (although I watched every bite and noticed none as I ate). What can I do to make sure I don't get sick?
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

Thanks for your concerns. Sorry for that awful dessert experience. Even if you ingested a maggot, the enzymes and acid from your digestive system would dissolve it and you are unlikely to get an illness related to that. Continue your daily routines and monitor for anything unusual, but again, it should not be expected as explained above.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor