Ask a Urologist   »  

Had a cystoscopy. Experienced burning in prostate urethra area. Is that normal? Will ejaculation be effected?

Just had a cystoscopy today, the flexible scope, and I experience burning pain in prostate urethra area when I razor blades. Well, when He inserted the instrument it burned and was a sharp pain like a knife when passing through the prostate. Is this normal? I have read a lot of inquiries that others didn't experience this kind of pain during procedure, but the urologist said that everything looked healthy....could my pain be due to tensing up? Also, I was curious about ejaculation and if that was affected too, and when I did tonight it felt good at first, but during onset of ejaculation it burned and felt like a hot knife coming out...grusome, but true. Is this normal? Should I wait for sex? How long until normal? The doctor suggested I try Finasteride, but that I looked healthy inside. It is just the passing throught the prostate part with so much this an indicator of a stricture or problem? Also, the pain as mentioned above?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 3 hours later

The symptoms of pain while urinating as well ejaculating that you are experiencing are found in a large fraction of patients post flexible cystoscopy.

It can be due to tensing up, There is nothing to worry about. These symptoms shall disappear in 4-5 days.

You don't need to start any medications for this and it does not indicate any stricture or other problem.

You can restart your sexual life after a week.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.