Had a cyst in buttock. Biopsy read, sections reveal fibrofatty tissues, acute on inflammation. What does this mean?

my name is XXXXXXX ..... i had a cyst on my buttock....doc operated it and send the abscess for biopsy....
report of biopsy is as follows:

few bits of fragmented tissues received

microscopic findings:
multiple sections reveal fibrofatty tissues and severe mixed inflammatory infilterate if neutrophils and lymphocytes
no tuberculous granuloma seen

acute on chronic inflammation

i just want to know what does it mean.........i also want to know what does acute on chronic mean......

Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Since the cyst was operated , there is no need to worry.

2. The biopsy report is suggestive of bacterial infection.

3. Acute on chronic means that the inflammation process was a long one and now it had got secondarily infected.

4. Ideally the abscess sample should also be sent for afb stain and culture along with gram stain and culture. The results would help in titration of antibiotics.

5. Now you need to take 3 to 4 weeks of antibiotic course for the lesion to be treated.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra