Had a cut with scissor. Prescribe with sentress and truvada. Not sure whether it is contaminated. Healing period?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
HI. I am a Special Education Teacher. I worked with 5 - 6 years old Autistic children. Last week one of my student got a cut with a child scissor. When I saw the blood I got panic. I took a tissue and I pressed his finger. Then, I put gloves. I am not sure if I could get contaminated. I had a cut but the cut was closing. I can not ask for his health status due to HIPA. I went to my doctor and prescribed me SENTRESS 400 AND TRUVADA. He took a HIV test two days after the accident because I want to show that I was fine. Also, I had a HIV test three weeks ago for an insurance policy and everything was fine. My doctor told me that I have to go back in two weeks two have a test.
Sometimes, I worry because I do not know what the child has. But, I am trusting in God that I am fine. Also, I want to know how long it takes for the virus to die after expose to the air.
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
HIV virus cant survive outside the body and it inactivates(dies) within 2 minutes after exposure. So environmental transmission is practically not possible.
In your case the risk is actually negligible. For transmission there must be prolonged contact between 2 bleeding wounds and even then the chances of transmission are less than 1%. So even if he was HIV + I think that there is very low risk of infection(maybe theoretical) and I dont think that antirettroviral medicines are even necessary.

HIV test is not reliable after 2 days. At least 3 weeks should pass so that results are 99% reliable.
I know that such incidents always worry people but try to stay calm since this really was not risky situation and the risk is only theoretical. I hope you ll wait for new testing more relaxed and I am sure that result will be negative.
Wish you good health. feel free to ask. Regards