Had a cut on hand. Touched a garbage bag that a wild animal broke into. Will I get rabies?

Question
i had a cut on my hand and touched a garbage bag that a wild animal broke into i went to the ER and my doctor the ER said I don't have rabies and don't have a exposure, also my doctor did blood test on me my cut though has healed I trust my doctor with all of my heart she can't lie to me right? I have high anxiety and OCD and now depression
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...There is absolutely nothing to worry.
Detailed answer...
You should stop worrying as touching a garbage bin,which if licked by a rabid animal,can not cause rabies to you because rabies virus gets killed on exposure to air.So effectively there is no chance of any rabies in you.
I hope this helps you however you can revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow-up: Had a cut on hand. Touched a garbage bag that a wild animal broke into. Will I get rabies? 42 minutes later
Thank you and also my doc and ER doc said I would be sick by now it's been 14 days and my cut has healed. Believe them?

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
passing of 14 days after the incident is in itself a proof that everything is all right and nothing is going to happen to you.
You are most welcome to ask any query any time.
Thanks

Follow-up: Had a cut on hand. Touched a garbage bag that a wild animal broke into. Will I get rabies? 1 hour later
So no rabies? Are you there?

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
Sorry for late reply.
Yes,there is absolutely no chance of rabies.
Thanks

Follow-up: Had a cut on hand. Touched a garbage bag that a wild animal broke into. Will I get rabies? 24 minutes later
How not?

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 minutes later
As I explained above,Rabies virus gets dried up fast on exposure to air and moreover it is more than 2 weeks since the incident.
Thanks