Had a cough which gave a sore head. Having Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. Have had stiffness and back pain

I had a cough which gave me a sore head for six months.Ithink it was a ME headache.I had scans.However it must have been a virus and I recovered but my symptoms of ME surfaced again ,after about 4 years of good health.Because of the ME I did very little during the six months and lots of rest and my sister did all my shopping in the first two months. After 5 months I had a hospital appointment and had to walk about a quarter of a mile from the car park to the hospital.Since thenI have had stiffness on rising from sitting and bending,painfuls hips in bed and sometimes middle back pain.I am still having blood tests for inflammation.My doctor does not have any ideas but stupidly I had not mentioned the painful hips.I would be grateful if you could tell me what this is and perhaps I could find exercises on the internet which hopefully would help.Also it is painful to bend.
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

With a history of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, it would be very appropriate as you rightly put it to reevaluate your health with respect to it, and give appropriate care. This could simple be a flare of this syndrome. However, it is normal practice to check for markers of inflammation (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate, ESR, CrP) to have an idea about the degree of inflammation to adapt treatment. A clinical review is mandatory for this could be something else and not the ME.

Graded exercise actually gives enormous relief to patients with ME. But I am afraid having graded exercises described on the internet might not be very helpful compared to actually visiting your physiotherapist and getting these exercises done.

Cognitive behavioral therapy is also a good protocol that could be of great help to you. Your family physician could be very helpful in helping you prescribe these tests for reevaluation and analgesics if needed, while you book appointments to XXXXXXX the physiotherapist (graded exercises) and pyschiatrist (cognitive behavioral therapy).

I am afraid internet exercises might not be very useful. The above mentioned treatment options are very effective in most patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME).

Getting relaxed, getting some exercise also helps very much.

Best regards as I wish you the best of health. Feel very free asking any further questions, I will honored making my little contribution to your well being.

Bain LE, MD.
Follow-up: Had a cough which gave a sore head. Having Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. Have had stiffness and back pain 16 hours later
Dear Dr.Bain,
Thankyou for your reply.I am still attending the doctor but I think my symptoms are of ME,as you feel,I think,My doubt was because ,previously, when the ME was worse than I am experiencing now,I had pains in my calves and ankles but not in my hips.I suppose this could be my age and there is a weakness in my hips-wear and tear.I was wondering that,if in the 5 months I had walked very little without rest,and, when I did walk a distance I may have pulled tendons or ligaments now causing the pain.Is this likely?
I look forward to your reply,

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 34 minutes later
Hi and thanks for your query,

This could explain the fact if the distance you walked was unusually very long, or the speed at which you walked was enormous, exerting much strain on muscles that have spent some time not being accustomed for some time to stress. It is also reasonable.

But however, depending on the intensity of the pain and other associated symptoms of ME, if the pain is so intense and you are experiencing onset of other ME symptoms , it might be unlikely.
But if the issue is mainly the pain, it really could. And in this case, we would expect the pain to be decreasing in intensity as the days go by.
In case the pain persists, or we have the setting in or aggravation of other classical ME symptoms, it might be worth getting reevaluated by your doctor. But its perfectly reasonable to associate this pain to abrupt onset of exercise. In this case, lets watch and see, as we expect the pain to be decreasing within the next couple of days.

Thanks and hope this helps. I shall be honored answering any further worries, do not hesitate.

Best regards and wishing you good health,

Bain LE, MD.