Had a cough, diagnosed with asthmatic bronchitis, non smoker. Having back and shoulder pain while coughing. Anything serious?

I have had a cough for almost three months, it was really bad and was diagnosed asashmatic bronchitis. The cough is almost gone, it is just a dry tickly cough hear and there now. It is worse when I lay on my stomach or when I am out i ncold air. This week I have had back pain near spine and shoulder when I cough. When I dont cought it is just a dull ache. I am a 38 year old female and have never smoked. Could this be lung cancer?
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 32 minutes later
Thanks for visiting XXXXXXX

First let me assure you that lung cancer is usually a disease of elderly smoker population, fairly uncommon at younger age and presents with cough, bloody sputum,weight loss etc.
Chronic cough i.e is cough lasting more than 8 weeks have several differential diagnosis like acid reflux disease, cough variant asthma, patients on ACE inhibitor group of antihypertensive drugs, post nasal drip in patients with chronic cold (rhinosinusitis), eosinophilic bronchitis.

As you told that you were diagnosed with asthmatic bronchitis, I want to know - Have you undergone spirometry test which is a simple breath test and what cough medications were given. I wish you must have told about whether having frequent colds, known allergy to dust , fumes etc., any family history, or any drug intake which has led to this symptom.

Pain can be a simple musculoskeletal pain and can be attributed to cough. Cold air leads to cooling and drying of airway leading to secretion of inflammatory mediators and is a known cause to exacerbate the respiratory symptoms.

I wish if you can go for chest x-ray, sputum examination (Gram's stainig, Ziehl Nielsen staining for tuberculosis, culture and sensitivity, microscopy for sputum eosinophilia), spirometry (if not done before). The treatment further depends on the diagnosis....

Best wishes
Follow-up: Had a cough, diagnosed with asthmatic bronchitis, non smoker. Having back and shoulder pain while coughing. Anything serious? 27 minutes later
I did not have any follow up tests, and I was given a temporary inhaler and cough syrup with codeine. I wasnt worried about lung cancer until I started with back pain and saw it is a symptom online right where my back hurts.
My cough has improved. Wouldn't be worsening if it were lung cancer?
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 1 hour later
Thanks for follow up.
I truly say you to rub of lung cancer from your thoughts. You are right that lung cancer can cause backache or bony pain if it spreads to bony skeleton most commonly the ribs and vertebrae. Concomitant symptoms like bloody sputum, loss of weight, breathlessness, prolonged cough, chest pain are present and they are important than back pain. Many a time it is evident on chest Xray.

Usually in lung cancer cough worsens.....

First address the reasons for back pain.

All the best.