Had a cold sore. After healing the skin was pink. Will I get genital herpes after oral sex?

Dermatologist
Question
important questioni was wondering my boyfriend had a cold sore under his noe its healed but theres was still like pink skin a few days ago now yesterday hey gave me oral and used his tounge now im paranoid im going to get genital herpes i also put hand sanitizer where hes licked me please help im scared
Posted Sat, 16 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 15 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

Cold sores are caused by HSV 1 whereas genital herpes is caused by HSV 2. These are two different strains of herpes virus.

In my opinion you are safe so far acquiring genital herpes is concerned.
Moreover a healing cold sore is hardly infectious.
You should not be too worried about genital herpes at this point of time.

I hope I have answered your query.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask me

Thanks

Follow-up: Had a cold sore. After healing the skin was pink. Will I get genital herpes after oral sex? 48 hours later
i was wondering something also i used the bathroom in a public toilet and the water splashed in my vagainal area and i was wondering if i could get aything from that
Follow-up: Had a cold sore. After healing the skin was pink. Will I get genital herpes after oral sex? 1 minute later
now i feel like it itingles but im not sure if its all in my head

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I do not anticipate anything serious from the water contact. A soiled toilet seat is however infectious and you should watch out for that.\

You may be feeling the tingling as you are being vigilant about herpes so you may be too bothered about the normal or trivial sensations. I assure you that there is no reason to be worried.

Relax.