Had a cervical epiduaral. Red hives appeared on face. Not cured by benadryl. Effective cure?

I had a cervical epiduaral last Saturday, I have had several in the past, this is the first one after a 3 month break.
My doctor wanted to take some time to make sure my body was not getting too much steroids.
Since the injection, starting Sunday my face turned bright red, by Monday afternoon my face and neck were bright red and I had hives. I called my doctor, and was told to take Benadryl. Tuesday was worse with the redness and hives spreading. Wednesday was better, still red, and hives but fading. Now I have small tiny white pimples all over the inside of my mouth with a still a little flush to my face.
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
May I know the cause for which cervical epidural was given? Actually, this procedure is bit XXXXXXX owing to the narrow space in the cervical canal compared to thoracic spine.

The flushing of face is definitely related to epidural.
This is due to transient blockade of sympathetic tone, which keeps the vessels constricted. Flushing, headache, nausea, light headedness, etc are common side effects of epidural steroid.
All these side effects are reversible.
However, there should not be hives. This seems to be an allergic reaction, to some of the component of the injected drug.
Benadryl is an anti allergic, hence it was prescribed to you to relieve itch.
In my view, if you are going for epidural again, then request the doctor to use steroid with a different composition from a different company, as it is usually the preservative and not the steroid, which causes allergic reaction.
You are sensitized this time so next reaction might be severe.
Regarding pimple like lesions in oral cavity, if there is no pain, itch, or ulcer, there is nothing to worry. They are dilated sebaceous glands (fordyce spots). It will subside in a few days.

Hope I answered your query.
Feel free to ask, if you have any further doubts.
Thank you
Follow-up: Had a cervical epiduaral. Red hives appeared on face. Not cured by benadryl. Effective cure? 19 hours later
The nerve on the C7 Vertabra in my neck is very inflamed, causing pain in my neck, shoulders, back and numbing my arms. At first, after a few tests the doctors thought it was a large cyst. After a miligram it was determined the nerve,
was involved. The Surgeon determined surgery was no longer an option. The steroid injections help the pain. I have also been through Physical Therapy. This is the first time I have had any adverse reaction at all. I understand what you are telling me about next time, I should ask my doctor for a different manufacturer of the steroid?
Any other precautions I should ask for?

Thank you for your assistance.

Thanks for the follow up query.

My suggestion would be to discuss about the problems and the need for epidural injections. He/she can prescribe the drug from a different manufacturer.

However I would advise you to continue benadryl few hours before steroid use. This will prevent chances of allergy.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have other enquiries.

If you are satisfied kindly rate the answer.

wishing you a good health.

Thank you