Had a cataract surgery in both eyes. Why am I having flickering vision?

Hi. I had a cataract surgery done in both eyes at the same time about 8 weeks ago and Alcon multi-focal lens implanted. Although I had floaters before my surgery, I now in addition to the floaters also have a flicker in my vision after the surgery. Why do I have the flickers which is annoying although my vision is fine?
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
 Brief answer...explained below Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. Your query basically has two parts.. 1st floaters in your eyes 2nd flickering of vision Floaters are common as we age because the vitreous gel,which fills the back of eyes,tends to change in consistency and then thicken,shrink or liquefy.Sometimes these floaters can result in tear or detachment of retina.Since you have been operated recently for cataract,your eyes must have been examined thoroughly by your eye surgeon,before the surgery. This means,these floaters are not be worried. As far as flickering of vision is concerned,this is a common occurrence after the cataract surgery,it occurs due to reflection of light from the edges of implanted lens.Once this lens gets settled in the eye and your brain gets adjusted to this IOL,you should be all right. This flickering may take 3-6 months to go away. If you feel,that your flickering is reducing gradually,then just wait and watch,but if you feel that these flickerings are bothering you a lot and have increased in intensity,then you should consult your eye surgeon for an evaluation. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Follow-up: Had a cataract surgery in both eyes. Why am I having flickering vision? 18 hours later
Thanks for your feedback Doc. I notice that the flicker in my vision is greater when I am looking down or reading. Is this a concern? Can the implanted lens be moving? I did ask my eye specialist this question and he mentioned that my eyes and lenses were fine with no movement. All he mentioned was to wait and see in the next few months. Not very assuring to me. Rgds Moses
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 12 minutes later
Hello, If your doctor has said that the lens has not moved,then there is no reason to disbelieve him.As I wrote in my earlier reply,flickering generally takes place from the edges of lens,this  is what is happening when you move your eyes downwards or upwards. Your doctor is right,which I also wrote,that flickering would take few months to settle. In my opinion,you must wait and watch,however if you still don't feel satisfied,then there is no harm in taking a second opinion from some other eye surgeon.This would help a great deal in re assuring you. Thanks