Had a case of ringworm on leg. Used bacterial gel. Noticed scar. What could be this?

Dermatologist
Question
I recently had a case of ringworm on my leg. The ringworm is gone now, but i think the anti bacterial gel i used bleached my skin because the area where the ringworm was is now a very bright white color and a very noticeable spot. It could also be a scar from the ringworm.. im not sure. I am wondering what i should do about this white spot. Please help. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 30 minutes later
Usually antifungal gels contain steroids.
Thinning of skin and whitening is a side effect of steroid use.
Dont worry your skin will get its normal color in another 15 days.

Wishing you a good health

Thank you

Follow-up: Had a case of ringworm on leg. Used bacterial gel. Noticed scar. What could be this? 5 minutes later
It has already been 15 days..longer than that. Its been about 6 months. I need to know how i can treat it now that it hasnt gone away for this long. Ive tried tanning, i have applied vitamin E oil and aloe vera but nothing really has worked. Would you suggest micro dermabrasion? what would you suggest to do?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 8 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.
I thought it is a recent matter.
If it is more than 6 months, no topical medicine will work.
Surgery is the only option.

Dermabrasion is a good initial option, you can go for that, it stimulates the melanocytes. If it does not work even skin grafting can be tried, but better to go for dermabrasion first.

Thank you

Do you think a micro dermabrasion kit from my local drug store would also work?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 minutes later
Hello thanks for follow up.
It usually need a deep dermabrasion, which is done under local anesthesia, so kit from the local drug store wont be of much help to you.
you need to XXXXXXX a dermatologist for the procedure.

Thank you