Had a brown mole which has turned white. Itching and has a knot under it. Should I be concerned?

Dec 2013

I have a mole that used to be brown but now is white, started hurting/itching, has a knot under it and dark bruising is this something that I need to be concerned with?
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get it excised and skin biopsy done

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic.

After reading your query I can make out that the mole is changing its architecture with pain and itching in the same.

IN all the patients with mole we always explain and guide the patient for following important points that is also know ans ABCD of mole in which :

- A is for Asymmetry- meaning if one half is different than the other half.
- B is for Border Irregularity-meaning if the edges are notched, uneven, or blurred.
- C for Color- meaning if the color is uneven or we see shades of brown, XXXXXXX
and black are present.
- D for Diameter- meaning if Diameter is greater than 6 millimeters or a pencil tip.

Along with this we always guide for the patient to report immediately if there is redness or swelling beyond the mole, pain, tenderness, itching, bleeding and if oozing appearance of a new bump or nodule, color spreads into surrounding skin or any color change is present.
So getting all these above points in consideration - you have pain, itching, a nodule or knot under it as well as color change which makes more suspicion towards melanoma changes.

I suggest you to XXXXXXX a dermatologist at the earliest and get this mole excised. Excision of mole is a very simple procedure and you can very well go for the same at the earliest. You also go for biopsy of the same, so that it can be best analyzed histo-pathologically.

I hope these information will help you in dealing the condition better. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help you.

With good health wishes,
Dr Sanjay
MD - Dermatology