Had a bout of tachycardia and atrial fibrillation. Troponin raised. Is it mild heart attack?

I have just had a bout of tachycardia and atrial fibrillation my troponin was raised to 700 is this enough for me to have had a mild heart attact
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence.

Troponin T elevation signifies that muscle has been affected. Apparently during boat of atrial fibrillation due to tachycardia the demand of blood by heart for its nutrition went up which was not matched by supply (meaning thereby your coronaries were narrow due to atherosclerosis process) leading to mismatch and hence the damage. If the bout of Atrial Fibrillation is over the EKG will show signs of heart attack. Please consult your doctor and take his/her advice. Personally, I will advise coronary angiogrpaphy and doing risk profile on you. Because treatment is that of risk factors too. First and foremost investigation will be an echocardiography & Doppler examination to prove that there was no underlying heart disease causing atrial fibrillation and second effect of heart attack and to some extent, the amount of affected muscle. Of course, you will take off from whatever work you do and take complete rest. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW